Posted: January 1st, 2015 | Author: Michael Courtenay | Filed under: REBLOG! | Tags: REBLOG! | Comments Off on REBLOG! Out of Order
First Published by Fairfax in December 2013 :: In the Magistrates Court annual report, released on November 27 2013, chief executive Andrew Tenni said intervention orders had risen 42 per cent over five years, to a record 44,455 for 2012-13. That was up almost 4000 on the previous year, when then chief magistrate Ian Gray warned the steep rise in intervention orders was “a significant concern”.
Exactly why these numbers are soaring is a topic of hot debate in legal circles. Partly, it’s because definitions of abusive and violent behaviour were expanded five years ago to capture issues such as economic threats. Another reason is that Victoria Police are applying for many more intervention orders than they have in the past to combat family violence. People are also much more aware of their right to apply for an order by simply filling in a form at the Magistrates Court, with no fee. These changes are positive steps to match legal rights with community expectations.
Another reason, however, is misuse. It’s the elephant in the room that few wish to talk about. Several interview requests to the Magistrates Court and Victoria Police were stonewalled. A spokeswoman for the Magistrates Court warned she would not like to see a story that discouraged people from applying for intervention orders.
But barrister Nicholas Kanarev is prepared to stick his neck out, and wrote a paper earlier this year on Intervention Orders in Victoria: Their use and potential for misuse. He concluded that intervention orders have become a significant part of the legal landscape. “Often they are the entry point into the legal system by parties whose personal relationship has ended . . . Conversely, they can be another tool in the arsenal of feuding neighbours.”
Intervention orders are meant to protect people who are in real fear for their safety. Family violence intervention orders protect people from abusive or threatening relatives, often where partners have separated or have a volatile relationship. Personal safety intervention orders protect people from a non-relative who makes them feel unsafe, usually a neighbour or work colleague.
A typical order may prohibit someone from contacting the applicant in person, by phone, text or email or going within 100 metres of them, their home or their workplace.
In another recent case, Kanarev acted for a real estate agent who managed a block of flats. One tenant, who the agent suspected owned a cat in breach of the lease, refused an inspection, then took out an intervention order against him, falsely claiming he was stalking her. The agent was not allowed within 200 metres of her flat, making his job of managing the other flats impossible. The order was eventually overturned, but he had to make several trips to court.
“Certainly, they are being overused,” Kanarev says. “People are going to the courts at the drop of a hat.”
A growing number of cases involve social media. In September last year, a candidate in the Port Phillip council elections took out an intervention order against a rival candidate, claiming the rival was posting rude and inappropriate messages on Facebook and harassing him :: by Lucinda Schmidt :: Read the full Fairfax article »»»»
Posted: March 26th, 2014 | Author: The Socialist | Filed under: REBLOG! | Tags: REBLOG! | Comments Off on REBLOG! Was it Fatal for You?
The NYTs Joyce Wadler writes: I have been dating age-appropriate men, and I must tell you that sex with men in their late 60s can make you a nervous wreck.
It’s the climactic moment, if you know what I’m saying. The earth moves, there’s sometimes a sharp little intake of breath, and then the man gets The Look: the face freezes and the eyes are either closed or staring at some unknowable thing, which ideally resembles you, although you will never know. The man has been transported. The God Eros and his servant Cialis have beamed him up.
When this happens with a guy in his 40s or 50s, it’s not a concern, you’re either – best case – reveling in your own state of bliss or – worst case – feeling relieved because now you’ll be able to go to the kitchen and get a Diet Pepsi :: Read the full NYTs article »»»»
Posted: March 14th, 2014 | Author: Miya Keji | Filed under: Goolge, News, REBLOG! | Tags: google, REBLOG! | Comments Off on REBLOG! ‘The Future of Internet Freedom’ According to Google
Two Google executives have penned an article for the New York Times “The Future of Interent Freedom”
In the op-ed, the duo – Eric Schmidt and Jared Cohen – detail what they believe are the means to overcome internet censorship in repressive communities.
Schmidt, the executive chairman of Google, Cohen, Director of Google Ideas, assert that the coming decade will see the internet increase by five-billion users from around the globe.
The Googlers surmise that the population growth will come primarily from places like Russia, Vietnam, Pakistan and Iran where www. access is heavily censored, another dystopian divination? :: Read the full article »»»»
Posted: January 13th, 2014 | Author: Michael Courtenay | Filed under: Movie Review, REBLOG! | Tags: Ben Falcone, Catherine Keener, Enough Said, Film review, Flick, Fox Searchlight Pictures, Friends With Money, James Gandolfini, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Likely Story, Lovely and Amazing, Marcelo Zarvos, MC65 BLOG, Nicole Holofcener, Toni Collette, Walking and Talking, Xavier Pérez Grobet | Comments Off on REBLOG! Enough Said
I don’t generally do film reviews on my personal blog, Enough Said however has a personal twist. Formalities out of the way: This 2013 American romantic comedy was written and directed by Nicole Holofcener, Walking and Talking, Friends With Money and the insanely neat Lovely and Amazing. The film stars Julia Louis-Dreyfus, James Gandolfini – in one of his final film roles – Toni Collette, Catherine Keener, Ben Falcone, and Toby Huss. The film was released on September 18, 2013 and received widespread acclaim from critics.
Holofcener has wonderful knack of portraying solid women in film, for me though, her understanding of aging – for both sexes – is what gives this film proper gravity :: Read the full blog post »»»»
Posted: November 25th, 2013 | Author: M.Aaron Silverman | Filed under: REBLOG! | Tags: Australian Foreign Policy, Australian Politics, Israel, Israeli Settlements, Palestine, United Nations | Comments Off on Australia Very Very Quietly Shifts Israeli Settlement Policy
Australia’s Federal Government has very quietly backflipped it’s position on the construction of Jewish settlements in the occupied Palestinian territories. Acting on instruction from Foreign Minister Julie Bishop, Australian government officials at the United Nations have withdrawn their nations support for an order that would have seen a halt to the expansion of any Israeli settlements in all of the occupied territories.
Under the previous – Labor Government – Australia condemned the settlements, but since the Coalition won office Australia has abstained from United Nations votes on the issue, returning Australia to the Howard-era policy of not supporting votes critical of Israel settlements. The current tight-lipped approach to implementation has seen NO information released on the governments change in Middle East policy.
In a statement released today, the Department of Foreign Affairs confirmed the policy shift, saying it reflects the Government’s concern that Middle East resolutions should be balanced. The statement says the Government considers each resolution on a case-by-case basis and will not support those which are one-sided or pre-judge the outcome of negotiations between Israel and the Palestinian territories.
However, diplomats warn the fragile relationship is on rocky ground after Australia signalled it would abstain from voting at the United Nations on motions that condemn the expansion of Israeli settlements :: Read the full article »»»»
Posted: November 25th, 2013 | Author: Verity Penfold | Filed under: REBLOG! | Tags: Festival, Melbourne Now, NGV, REBLOG!, White Night Melbourne | Comments Off on REBLOG! Melbourne Now via Milkbar
Melbourne Now is daylight’s answer to White Night Melbourne, the cultural festival that took the city hostage earlier this year. More manageable and minus the mosh pit, Melbourne Now does what it says – showcasing the works of nearly 400 local artists across a plethora of interactive spaces in the NGV, Ian Potter Centre and Federation Square.
A good place to start is the NGV, where large, psychedelic communal spaces have been erected in the foyer. There’s something deliciously rebellious about playing ping-pong in Melbourne’s most prestigious gallery, and this you can do, as well as stringing your own necklace with trinkets preselected by Meredith Turnbull.
Trippy installations pepper the upper levels, including Patrick Pound’s Gallery of Air – a seemingly random assortment of items that sees a whoopee-cushion, Fresh Prince of Bel-Air screenplay and Wedgwood vase fall unexpectedly into the same category :: Read the full Milkbar article »»»»
via melanie dimmitt