Our most fovourite dictatorship, the DPRK has released a statement warning the US of serious retaliation if an upcoming comedy casting irony at the North Korean leader is not banned immediately.
North Korea has denounced a ‘The Interview’ a forthcoming American comedy film featuring a plot to assassinate its leader Kim Jong Un as an act of terrorism, the communist nation has threatened to unleash a “merciless counter-measure” if Washington fails to ban the movie.
A surprising number of Australian teenagers are choosing not to drink alcohol, new research shows. The findings - from a survey of more than 2,500 teenagers - published in the medical journal Addiction indicates that half of Australian teens don't drink.
The study also found that in the years between 2001 - 2010 the number of young teenagers - aged 14 to 17 - abstaining from alcohol rose from 30 percent to more than 50 percent :: Read the full article »»»»
The West is facing a more powerful terrorism threat now than in the lead-up to 9/11 because of the Middle East’s current political and economic uncertainty, according to one of Australia’s top security analysts.
Research director at thinktank, The Lowy Institute for International Policy, Anthony Bubalo says the region’s many conflicts have galvanised international extremism and provided an environment in which “a whole new generation of jihadists is being re-tooled and re-trained”.
Mr Bubalo argues that the current turmoil in the Middle East is incubating a new generation of jihadists, he says in many respects the current conditions in the region are worse than those that saw the emergence of radical groups like al-Qaeda.
Mr Bubalo says that Australia will need to properly sustain its counter terrorism efforts in years to come, in light of the number of Australians taking part in wars around the globe. He says there is an immediate threat from foreign fighters returning from the Syrian civil war both to Australia and Indonesia with military skills and extremist connections :: Read the full article »»»»
At least five people are dead after a magnitude 8.2 earthquake struck in the Pacific Ocean off Chile, generating a two-metre tsunami.
The earthquake hit this morning at a depth of just 10 kilometres and was centred 86 kilometres north-west of Iquique in northern Chile.
Interior minister Rodrigo Penalillo says the victims were four men and a woman who died in the cities of Iquique and Alto Hospicio, either of a heart attack or after being crushed by debris.
The first waves struck Chile’s northern coast within 45 minutes of the quake, with roads left gridlocked as Chileans abandoned their coastal homes for higher ground.
The Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre says the wave has been measured at 2.11 metres at its highest off Iquique.
UPDATE! A tsunami warning that had been in place for regions including Chile and Peru has now been cancelled, and the Australian Bureau of Meteorology says there is no tsunami danger for Australia or New Zealand. Chile’s President Michelle Bachelet has declared parts of northern Chile to be disaster zones
UPDATE! March 3, 2014: A magnitude 7.8 aftershock has struck off northern Chile, just a day after a massive earthquake struck the region, the US Geological Survey – USGS – says. The navy declared a tsunami alert after the most recent quake, which was initially reported as being of magnitude 7.4 ::